Canister in the making. I saw a set of three canisters in a catalog. Each canister was white, had holes in it, two had lids, and each had beige writing: Potatoes, Onions, Garlic. $80. On sale. Plus shipping. For that kind of money, I can buy 300 pounds of clay.
I've been wanting to work with ^04 and do some reduction firing. This is the perfect opportunity. This is the first canister in process. I've gotten the sides done and I've got slip on the outside. I'll make the lid and do some incising into the slip for decoration and use my hole punch to put some air holes in the canister.
Lid for the box. I don't like making lips, edges and other things on lids. So I cut out a slab that's slightly smaller than the opening and use that to anchor the lid.
I thought it would be interesting to make a box with candleholders on the lid for Shabbat candles. The extra candles could be stored in the box. I've pained the inside with slip and I'll glaze the outside. I still need to fine tune the cleaning on this. I used a soap stamp to make the design on the front.
The first box resembled the box that Velveeta cheese comes in. Hmmmm.... I wonder how this box would look if I changed the dimensions from 12 x 4 to 8 x 5. Here are the slabs drying to the point where I can assemble them easily.
The first box, I used a 45 degree angle cutter and made beveled edges. I wasn't as happy as I thought I'd be with that. This time, I decided to butt the edges. This took a bit of math - so here are the instructions.
First box with lid. I used the same design on the top as on the front panel so I'd know which way the lid was oriented.
The second box assembled. It needs cleaning up and a lid.