Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
I bought some yarn that had been spun from the fleece of a black sheep. It's a beautiful, warm brown color. I tried to recreate that in this sculpture. I used a translucent glaze that I made myself and used both white and brown clay hoping that the differences in the clay would be apparent through the glaze. I tested the glaze in an electric kiln. This piece was fired in a gas kiln in oxidation. I didn't quite get what I wanted from the glaze, but I do like the overall sculpture.
This piece has good news and bad news. I used a fiber clay, and I'm very disappointed with the cracking. That huge crack in the front wasn't there after the bisque firing. I'm thinking that perhaps I fired too fast. The good news is that I do love the way the piece came out. The arms sagged pretty much exactly as I hoped they would. The pockets are "real" in that I actually could insert a finger in the pocket. I like how the colors on the dress came out. I like the way fiber clay can be made very thin and that's how I did the ruffle on the bottom. I had great fun making the hair and greater fun adding the blue highlights.