Saturday, August 27, 2011

I Hate To Buy What I Can Make


I have a cyst on my scalp, and the cyst is leaking. This makes for a particularly unattractive spot on my head. I'm not much for wearing hats, but I have got to cover that cyst if I go out in public. 

So.... I took a floppy brim hat pattern and used just the crown. I grabbed a piece of hand-dyed orange cotton and some interfacing. I cut two of everything so that the hat would be self lined. I used the serger to attach the top to the crown. 

When I tried the hat on, it looked awful. I suddenly heard myself sounding like Tim Gunn and telling myself to make it work. I made the crown shorter. Ah ha! That worked. 



I grabbed one of my fancy threads to sew the hem in the hat. 

I used the same fancy thread to sew around the top and sew down the serged edge. 

I will need to be wearing hats for about a week, so I'm going to be making a couple more of these. Much to my surprise, a pill box hat actually looks all right on me. I wonder if I could attach a pheasant feather to one of these.... Perhaps an ostrich feather... Beads, it definitely needs beads. And Swarovski crystals. 

2 comments:

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Hope that you feel much better soon.

Marti said...

aww, the hat is cute. sorry you had to make it because you have an owie. Make some more, though, and let us see!! Wish I was there, we could make some flowers from recycled sweaters (my fave)!