Sunday, April 04, 2010

Tea Time

One day, I came up with the brilliant idea of making tea pots out of extruded pieces. I found that I had to pare down my original idea, and this is what I came up with. 

When Jim was up at NM Clay last week, he got some samples of Mayco's new stoneware glazes. This one is called Green Tea. I used it over Laguna's speckled buff. One pot came out with character, the other came out a little flat. The pots are functional, but I'm not sure I'll make any more extruded pots. It was an interesting experiment. The lids of the pots are done with Coyote Clay Pistachio Shino, one of my all-time favorite glazes. 


Tea pots need a sugar and creamer. I learned the spout from a workshop I attended last fall. It's based on a kerosene container. It looks a tad odd, but it sure pours nice. I think these were done in Blue Oasis. The lids moved during firing. Although the lid was flat on the shelf, the one on the sugar pot turned into a sort of smile. 

No comments: