Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Where Can I Put My Anxiety?

I need a place to put my anxiety so I don't have to carry the anxiety around with me. I thought about this for a while. First, I was going to make a textile sculpture. Then, when I was in the shower this morning, I saw what I needed to make. I'm making a kind of tile with pockets. I decided to honor the anxiety and give it a place to reside where the anxiety could come and go as it pleased. 

These will be raku pieces. After being reminded that whatever I put into the raku kiln needs to be pulled out with tongs, I decided to make a kind of edge on the piece. Next, I made cut out the pockets and put texture on them. After attaching the pockets, I put texture on the background of the tile. 

I made a third tile using slips rather than texture. I'm looking forward to making more of these sculptures. 





No comments: