Sunday, June 14, 2009

Battling the Serger

Why does a serger have to be such an obstreperous machine? Normally, I watch the cones to see when my thread is getting low. Just before I run out of thread, I will tie on a new cone thereby avoiding the misery of manual threading. Not this time. I was so engrossed in what I was sewing, I failed to notice the thread for the dreaded bottom looper was about to run out. I followed the diagram, I put the thread through all the thread guides, I actually managed to get the bottom looper threaded left handed (I'm right handed), and tried to serge. Thread broke. After several careful threadings and still having problems, I looked and saw that the thread wasn't between the tension disks. Ugh! Why on earth does this machine have to be so cantankerous?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Sigh, nature of the beast. I have a serious love hate with them. Currently, it's a hate, I sold mine cuz I couldn't stand the thought of fiddling with it yet again.

boomerbabe said...

Deb,
your message on clay art was close to home. Last time I fired, I included some beads. I have some Southern Ice and made some bead shapes by hand and imprinted some with metal buttons from my collection. Some I "painted" with mason stains. They all need glaze. I like beads, but they seem to get kind of heavy when I make them. Large ones seem to be heavier than I would like.
Margery Tiedeman
by the way, I didn't answer to the list - I am not on the level that all those people are. I just try to glean info from their posts.