Monday, January 09, 2012

The Everglades









































































There is no place on the planet that is like the Everglades. It's an incredible place - but it's only a fraction of the original size. Many of the birds have been hunted to the edge of extinction. 


I had read that one has to be prepared to battle mosquitos all year long. So, I came armed with Bounce fabric softener sheets and Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50. My massage therapist says they are both great mosquito repellants. I wouldn't know. We didn't see a single mosquito. 


I'd like to spend more time in the Everglades and take a boat tour. We did see an alligator. From about 100 yards, it looked like a tire. It never moved the entire time we were at the pond so I have no idea if I could outrun one of them.


I had hoped to see flamingos, but I was told that there aren't that many and they are deep in the Everglades. 

No comments: