Saturday, January 24, 2009

Deb & Jim Take A South American Cruise

We started in Buenos Aries, went north to Montevideo, then went south, took a little trip to the Falkland Islands, went around Cape Horn, through the Beagle Channel, through the Straights of Magellen and then north to Valpariso, Chile. We were going to see the Patagonia Coast and the Chilean Fijords, but the sea was too rough to navigate the channel safely.

When we went around the Horn, we were about 350 miles from Antarctica. The day was 17 hours long and twilight lasted more than an hour. I got to see the Southern Cross. The sky in the Southern Hemisphere is very different from the Northern Hemisphere.

I was seriously relaxed during the trip and got some great sketching done. I've got art ideas to last for about six months. I also bought some great fabric in Montevideo and bought wool yarn in Stanley. I even got to see penguins.

We took about 1000 photos, and I've included a few below.

No comments: