Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Exhibit A



I had a motion hearing yesterday, and this piece of fabric was Defense Exhibit A. The issue for the hearing was did the police officer have reasonable suspicion to stop my client. My client was stopped because he was wearing a "flannel" jacket and it was warm out.

I handed Exhibit A to the officer and asked if he knew what kind of fabric it was. He didn't. I asked if it was flannel. He didn't know. In my argument, I told the judge I am a fiber artist and I've been sewing for 44 years. I know my fabrics and Exhibit A - which was entered into evidence - is flannel.

I lost, but there will be an appeal and Exhibit A will go up to the appeals court.

Exhibit A is a leftover from some flannel I used to make a blouse for myself. I made Jim's long sleeved shirt out of the companion to this fabric. Same orange background, but Jim's shirt has hot dogs, buns, mustard and picnic things on it.

1 comment:

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Deb, you are without a doubt the coolest lawyer I "know". Please keep us posted about the outcome of your appeal!