Monday, November 26, 2007

And The Winner Is.....

I was asked to donate a mask to the local theater to be auctioned off during the Mardi Gras Gala fundraiser. This semester, I've been working on clay masks after being inspired by seeing a friend's mask collection.

I thought about how when one is wearing a mask, one is free to be oneself. No need to care about outward appearances because the mask hides the identity of ther wearer.

The last mask I made came out as a surprise to me. I was expecting something different. This mask is eerie - no eyes and no mouth. I thought about how it represents hiding from the pain. If I stay very small and quiet, if I don't look, maybe she/he/they won't hurt me.

I've asked for advice, thought about the advice I got, and I'm donating the mask that allows one to be oneself. Thanks to all who gave me advice.

1 comment:

Anne said...

Deb, I think you made a great choice for their fundraiser, even though the hiding mask is more powerful. Keep up the great work!
Anne Peck
(a list reader)